Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Life in another country

Since I haven't posted in so long I thought I should update everyone on my adventures. 3 weeks ago I traveled to Scotland to take part in a once in a lifetime experience. I'm studying abroad here for 3 1/2 months, until mid-November. I feel so blessed to be able to take part of something so amazing! The scenery here is absolutely breathtaking. When I first landed I couldn't stop looking out the windows! No matter where you are, there is always a mountain range in the distance. Everything here is so much greener than it is back in Wisconsin. Even when it rains it's not as lush as Scotland! Since this is a fashion blog, I suppose I should comment on the trends I've been seeing here. Everyone dresses so much nicer than they do in America. You never see someone wearing sweatpants in public, which I adore. I've always believed that sweatpants are something to wear around the house, and should never see the light of day. Even jeans aren't as common here. If someone is wearing jeans, they're dark wash and pressed. One of the most popular trends is wearing jean shorts over tights or leggings. It almost makes me wish I would have brought shorts over, but I don't think I could pull it off as well as locals can. Sock buns are also extremely common. They sell hair donuts at most clothing stores here, and they're super easy to use! I bought one and I'm already addicted to using it. I've seen people using a sock with the toe cut off, but that didn't seem to work as well for me.
One thing that I miss about being home are all the styling tools I have for my hair! My hair is my crowning glory (I'm so punny! haha) and not being able to style it every day makes me sad. I found a straightener here that is the perfect size for my bangs, but doesn't do much for the rest of my hair. As for curling irons, well I can dream! The only ones here are like 1/2 inch, and I don't really feel like buying one, although I may resort to that if I can find one cheap enough.
I learned very quickly that I can't just stop using all my typical products cold turkey. I didn't bring any hair products with me because I figured it would be a hassle to pack. That was a mistake. I had to buy a few styling products and hair accessories, because I just couldn't deal. Although this means that I will appreciate them so much more when I get home!
As for my outfits, I've been wearing a lot of neutrals, since those are the only clothes I brought with. I wanted everything to mix and match, and my theory has been working out very well! I packed very lightly considering I'm in this country for 3 1/2 months, but I figured since I'm such a shopper I would come back with much more clothing than I left with. I'm leaving towels/sheets behind so I have extra room in my suitcase on the way home.
About a week ago I went into Primark, which is a popular clothing store here. It reminds me of H&M, but cheaper and higher quality. I found a great white cable knit sweater with tan elbow patches, tan skinny jeans, a 9 pack of white/gold earrings, and the hair donut. Does anyone have any recommendations of clothing/shoe/accessory stores in the UK? Still trying to find a favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment